Wednesday 16 May 2012

[Animation] Flow

This was a project I did at University, using video footage and Adobe After Effects we were to create a small video that represented Flow. We had to make this animation for the arrival of the famous Brothers Quay who were coming to Leeds to do a showcase and to direct the Leeds Canvas event. They were going to explore the flow of water and people in the city,
"They are interested in how, from out of the anonymous and everyday, myth suddenly erupts and transforms space into another dimension and then subsides, leaving the everyday altered and somehow different." (Dearden S. (2011))
For this I chose to do a paper boat going down a river, but unlike the Quay Brothers style I wanted to make it unique to my own. Below is the video:


This video wasn't that hard to create however it took me a long time to actually finish the project due to being incapable of animating or draw. During the month of March when this project was set I was put into the hospital when I broke a finger which then put me in a arm sling. This meant I couldn't do my original idea of superimposing a character on the boat and having him sail down the river. However now my finger has healed I ran out of time and decided to use this project to try and to improve my knowledge in After Effects since I don't have much.

I found that using After Effects is hard if you don't know what you are doing, but once you have read a few tutorials it can be fairly easy to use! I put all the videos together using After Effects and then added a few effects to make the video look better. Though I did put alot of effects in most of them were to experiment with the software, I used this tutorial to help me with most of the effects, such as colour alteration, giving it a nice border and even darkening the edges. 

I wanted to make the video original and something people wouldn't expect, there was three ideas that I was going to do; The first was to have a man superimposed onto the boat going down the river with calm music in the background to show like he's on an adventure, but then I re-thought the idea once I recorded the footage. The second idea was to have it be like an epic adventure with some guy superimposed onto the boat while epic music plays, I was then going to superimpose a monster in the water to show him ready to battle it. However my third idea was only thought when I realized I didn't have much time left, this was to have fun with it and make it like a fun adventure, children always play with paper boats and let them float down the river, so I found childish music to represent it to be like a child's point of view, then at the end when it crashes the music becomes sad.

The main focus of the animation was to improve our knowledge in After Effects, I did this as I now know how to edit a video to basic knowledge; this would include moving images and animating them, creating special effects such as Lens Flare, adjusting the video quality, colour and hue etc. I wanted to learn alot more After Effects with this project but only learnt the basics, however with future projects I will be sure to spread my wings alot more and try more things out.

If I had to do the film again I would try to focus more on learning better techniques in After Effects and ones that are useful for the project, rather than using all the techniques that I learnt using tutorials. I would probably try to get more footage from different angles, like from the other side of the river and try to get a shot that looks like its from the boats point of view. Also, I would try to make the original idea that I had before I broke my finger which was to have a little man on it, I think it'd be a nice idea and animation to create.

No comments:

Post a Comment