Friday 18 May 2012

[Animation] The Fresh Panda of London Zoo

This is my final project that I did in the first year of University, we had to go to Leeds Museum and choose an object that is shown there and then base an animation around it that must have a form of Narrative. I went to the "Life on Earth" section of the Museum and chose to base my animation around Pandas. However, I wanted this animation to be funny enough and up to a great standard of quality to be uploaded to Newgrounds on its completion. Below is the animatic:


The animatic was also used as the storyboard, and took about a week to create. However the animatic changed alot of things in the actual animation that I wasn't going to do before. The Zoo Keeper wasn't going to be a plain guy with a mustache and was going to be a fully modeled person, however because alot of my coursemates likes the Zoo Keeper the way he was in the animatic and I decided to keep him looking like that for the actual animation. However my coursemates also said they loved the panda like how he is in the animatic, but I decided to change the panda to a sort of Yogi Bear look. However, even with these character changes I still really enjoy how the animation came out, even though the animation is still slightly incomplete. Below is the actual animation:


I found this animation alot easier to animate than all the other animations I have made so far in Flash, however it was time consuming. The animation was alot easier now that I have learnt to use Group's in Flash, this means I can manipulate the joints on the character easily without a layer for each of the body parts. However I wanted to work on the lipsyncing, but I wasn't able to in the end due to technical difficulties.

During the last few days of animating  lost the .flv file to the animation when it corrupted due to Flash CS5.5 crashing unexpectedly around the clock. Because of this there is a number of things I couldn't edit, these include:
  • Panda Movement
  • Panda Lipsyncing
  • Some scenes needed redoing
  • Some scenes cut off too quick
  • Improve Backgrounds
However, I was able to recover the .swf file so I could finish the animation off, but not edit the current footage I had. I ended up putting the .swf into premiere and cutting everything from when it turns into pictures, I then reopened Flash and recreated the last scene and the credits. After that it was as finished as it is going to get without having to re-due a few key scenes.

There were a few scenes in the animation that were difficult to animate, such as the scene when the Zoo Keeper throws the plate and hits his fist on the table. That was my first keyframed animation that didn't use a tutorial, it took me about 6 hours to animate as I had trouble with the fingers. Another scene I had trouble animating was the scene with were the boy was eating some nuts, I had to figure out how to show that he's on the other side of the cage, in the end I did it through tweens and showing depth of field.

The ending is a different style to the entire animation, being that it is photographs instead of animation. I did this to represent them going to the future, and being able to actually show the Panda at the Museum. This makes the story all the more complete showing that he actually is in the museum and he finally got what he wanted. I also wanted it to be as if it is in present time being realistic, I tried to make the animation look older to represent an older time, which is why I made the characters look like Yogi Bear.

The focus of the animation is that its to be about or refer to an object from the Museum, this could be anything from the Animal section to the Egyptian section. However, the story had to have some form of Narrative, it is unrestricted and is non-explicit meaning that the story unfolds on its own without a narrator, we also get to see the whole story as it unfolds. It follows the three act structure; a equilibrium which is the panda's life at London Zoo. A disruption which is when the Panda messes up the Dinner Party, and a Resolution when he gets the contract at the end.

If I had to re-due the animation I would make sure to create it using a more reliable program which wouldn't crash unexpectedly all the time, Instead I would go back to an older version of Flash such as CS4. I would make sure to keep a backup of the .flv at all times, so incase the file gets corrupted again I still have that to work with. Animation wise, I would make sure to do all the things I pointed out earlier, such as some movement, backgrounds etc. I would also make the ending a video, instead of pictures, this would look alot more professional than a cutout style animation at the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment