Monday 11 November 2013

Final Animation Idea - Pango

The first of many ideas; Pango, is a story of a Panda in Western times hunting for his infamous twin brother, a crook wanted for numerous crimes. After being mistaken for his brother he is arrested and told if he didn't prove himself to be who he says he is he'd be hung; so Pango, the sheriff and a young girl venture out to find the wanted criminal. The story had many flaws, as it didn't have an ending, most character's were un-designed and the beginning was unfinished. However I did alot of concept art:



I was going for alot of atmosphere with this animation, I wanted it to be dark and gritty. I was incredibly inspired by the film 'Django' and 'Rango' (Hence the name). Both films show the western era to be a harsh place filled with crooks everywhere, and this is what I wanted to get across. Similar to Rango I wanted the entire cast to be cute animals, set in this rough tough world.
The music I had in mind was bluesy western, almost eerie. A good example of what I wanted it like is a song by The Heavy: Short Change Hero. It isn't western, but has that eerie tone. Another song would be Freedom by Anthony Hamilton and Elayna Boynton:




Ultimately, I scraped the idea as it was leaning towards it being a feature film and not something I feel I could achieve in a year (Or to the quality I want). If I shortened it the story would have suffered and it would more than likely lose all appeal, plus the animation would look horrible rushed. I may carry this on one day, however for now it remains as the first of many unused final year animation projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment