Monday 7 November 2011

[Animation] Bread

This is a week project I did in University, we had to make an animation which the theme had to be light using time lapse animation. To do this we had to get an object or a view of something and take a photo of it every second, minute, 5 minutes or even hour, the time difference all depends on how smooth you want the animation. Below is the animation:


Well my animation didn't turn out the way I had hoped, I took photo's every hour for 4 days, although 2 of those 4 days I was at university for 3 hours and I went to sleep for 9 hours so I couldn't take photos during those spaces of time. Because of this the animation is very short and jumps about a little bit, although you can see the bread getting staler and staler. I think at some points there are some nice transitions from night into day and at some points the bread's movement is really smooth.

I found this project fairly difficult as I didn't discipline myself to stick with my hour photo taking schedule, If I had done I think this animation would be alot more smoother and alot more longer. The bread also didn't do what I expected it to, originally I wanted to show the bread turn moldy over time, but instead it went stale and curled up. To me this is an improvement as it gives the effect of movement over time and also shrinks. I also put cheese on the bread with hope that it would change colour, but alas it stayed the same as when I placed it on the bread. Another thing that proved difficult was keeping the camera steady, the tripod I had used was broken and wouldn't keep up right, due to this the camera slowly started to tilt forward after leaving it for a while, changing the location of the plate on the photo. The music in the animation was added for a joke effect, making it sound epic even though it is very short, the music used is Beethoven's 5th Symphony as it is recognizable which makes it funny due to how out of place it is.

The animation’s focus is to show light within the time lapse; I don’t think the animation has that much to do with light although it defiantly shows the transition from night to day and day to night. I made it do that to get the light focus in the animation as well as added another focus into it, to show something getting older. Although as you can see it didn’t turn out the way I expected which disappointed me. However, the day to night transition works well in my opinion so in the end I still completed main practical focus. Also because of the light you can see a nice shadow under the plate appear and disappear; I think this is a nice effect as it shows the strength of the light at the time because of how visible the shadow is.

I was influenced by a short YouTube video, although the YouTube video had nothing to do with light it showed Food decomposing, the video was called “Fruit and Vegetables Decomposing: Time-lapse.” I wanted to do something similar but not with fruit and vegetables, so I chose to use bread, butter and cheese. Of course, the outcome was exceptionally different; this was due to the length of time that was spent doing it. That and the bread never went mouldy, only stale. Also by the look of the video it seems he did his in a room with only unnatural light, I chose to do mine by the window so to get a nice transition with natural light from day to night.

The intention of the animation was the show the transition of day to night and vice versa while going over decomposing bread. Although the bread didn’t go mouldy I was still able to get a nice video of the light going across the food. The music added was intended to be funny, it isn’t expected in the video not does it fit and because of this it adds humour to it.

The next time I do a time lapse animation I will make sure to discipline myself properly so as to not forget when to take the photo or just leave a frame out. This will massively improve the overall quality and length of the animation. I will also shorten the time difference in the animation from 1 hour to 5 minutes or so, this in my opinion will make the animation alot smoother. I will also take out a Tripod from the University as the tripod I used was broken, this will keep the camera steady and make it look alot better not not jumpy.

No comments:

Post a Comment