Sunday 20 November 2011

[Animation] The Amazing Thin Man

This was a project I did at University, we had to do the pre-production of an animation. We where given a Script called "The Amazing Thin Man" written by Ina Fischlin a student studying at Leeds Metropolitan University. Because we had to do the animation from scratch we had to start with the Proposal and Treatment, working our way up to doing the Storyboards and then finally Animatics, below is the animatics:


A scene from the animation is below, This is what the animation will look like if I decided to animate it fully:


Unlike my other animations, I found doing these animatics easier than doing actual animations because the images aren't moving on screen. Because these are mock-ups to give a better impression of what a scene will look like when animated I think it will really help me if I ever do them before actually animating. The question of whether I will finish the animation for "The Amazing Thin Man" is still out there, now that I have finished the animatics I may come back to this project later and finish it off. I got the music from incompetech.com in the Royalty Free Music section, I think the music fits really well with the animation as it is happy and up beat. I Emailed 2 voice actors to narrate the script; Joshua Tomar and Arin Hanson two widely popular voice actors in Flash animations on the internet. Although neither of them got back to me after 2 weeks so I ended up doing the Narrators voice myself.

Although the animatics where easier to put to video than a actual animation, drawing them all was quite a task,  we where all given 2 weeks to create the full pre-production of "The Amazing Thin Man" which is a reasonable amount of time. The storyboards took a total of 12 hours to complete over 6 days, I got sidetracked easily which is why it took this amount of time, the drawing quality could be improved and to me seemed a little rushed. Instead of re-drawing them for the animatics I scanned the Storyboards and cropped the panels with the drawings in, stretched them to fir in Adobe Premiere CS3 and then used them. Personally I think that worked and was a clever way of getting around re-drawing all of the scenes, although the drawing quality seemed to decrease by doing this. Doing the voice work was also hard to do, I don't own any voice recording equipment and because of this I had to use a voice recording software from my computer, although this also captured all of the background noises as well as my own voice, but using DeNoise on Adobe Premiere CS3 I successfully got rid of most of the background noise.

The main focus of the animatics were to show and practise pre-production techniques; I designed Concept Art, a Storyboard, and did the Proposal and Treatment to show the pre-production. Finally after doing all of this I then began to create the animatics for the animation “The Amazing Thin Man”. By having all of this for show I feel that I have completed the focus well, although couldn’t upload the concept art to the blog due to handing over all of my written and drawn work over to the creator of the script Ina Fischlin.

The main characters design was influenced by a character in the Flash animation, ‘The Greatest Idea Ever!’ by animator Max Gilardi. The character has a square shaped head, wears glasses, black hair and has ears larger than normal persons. I liked the design of this character as he looked smart, which is how I wanted Archibald Crane to look, although I did want Archibald to look different and more like a business man than a scientist.

The intention of the animatics was to practise doing the pre-production of an animation instead of going right into the animation. It was to give us practise doing storyboards, proposals, treatments and then to show us how to do animatics. It was also intended to show us what the animation would look like animated instead of being in the form of storyboards, the animatics allows us to use voiceovers, audio and even SFX and show us where in the animation they’ll be placed instead of guessing when it comes down to actually animating it.

The next time I do animatics I will take time with the drawings so it is easier to follow and looks the highest quality. To do this I will try to either re-draw all of the scenes larger, or draw the storyboards larger so there isn't as much distortion. I will also try to get voice recording equipment the next time I do voice work like on the David Cameron Stop-motion animation, by doing this I will make it more clearer and easier to understand instead of having to put subtitles in so you can understand more clearer.

No comments:

Post a Comment