Saturday 15 December 2012

[Personal] Book's for Uni #1

Usually I would take stuff out from the Library, however since I live far away from the City Center and every time I have been to the Headingly Campus something I want is taken out, I have decided to buy most of my books. Now I have been doing this for a while now so I thought I would share with you the books I have collected so far to help me with University:

Tezuka School of Animation: Vol. 1 Learning the Basics:


This is by far one of the best books I own, gotten to me for Christmas 2011 from my Brother who said this is the best book to learn key framed cycles. I have attempted one or two and so far it has been of great help. Written by the creator of Astro Boy, this book goes through the basic walk cycles, jump cycles, run cycles ect.

Though it is essentially a "How to draw manga" book, however in a more professional sense, instead of focusing on a cliche drawing style and stereotypical anime poses, it focuses on actual poses and uses characters that he himself has created and used in previous animations.






School Girl Milky Crisis: Adventures in the Anime and Manga Trade:

A little gem I found in a charity shop, though it isn't the most useful book at the present, it is a book that will infact help me through the course of my third year of university. The writer talks about various anime and manga in Japan in great detail, how manga started and how it built up to the fandom that it is now.

It has quotes from various articles, magazines and interviews. It also talks about various anime shows and his views on them in comparison to some older / newer shows, this book is really going to help when I write my dissertation next year.








Television Culture:

Though this book has little to do with animation, it is rather helpful when discussion animation theory. The book discusses Ideology, realism and narrative, topics that have been brought up an awful lot during my time studying Animation. This book has already helped me during one of my assignments and I hope that it will help me during my third year when I write my dissertation.












How to Draw and Sell Comic Strips:


This book is really for me personally and not really for University, it is a book discussing the history of comic books, how to draw them, how to sell them and how to publish them yourself. Before gaining an interest in animation, I always wanted to be a comic book artist, a book like this might help me in the future and it doesn't hurt to practice a little bit now does it.

The best thing about this book is that it doesn't show you how to draw comics, it shows you how to draw panels, lettering, how to lay comics out and appreciates that everyone has their own drawing style, and you wont sell a comic if you just take someone else's style.






Illustrator's Figure Reference Manual:

I bought this from a charity shop earlier today, something i have started noticing after going to Drawing lessons is that my life drawing is slowly starting to improve. I wanted to take it a step further and start drawing people in my free time, so I thought a book like this would help.

Though I will possibly use this book for helping me draw characters rather than to use it for life drawings, I will at some point start to draw real people with it. This book is incredibly interesting having people from different angles doing various positions with and without clothing, a very helpful book indeed.







These are all the books I have collected so far, I will no doubt continue collecting more books to help me in the future, that is when I get some more money!

No comments:

Post a Comment