Friday 12 April 2013

[Personal] Drawing style changes

I was talking to Anthony a few days ago about my characters, we both agreed that (as I believe I may have stated before in a previous post) that my characters suffer from the "same face synrome", in which all the characters have the same face, with minor changes. Anthony suggested that I look at a few more people as inspiration, so he sent me the following video:

This video made me realise something, that my faces start to be constructed correctly, however before I can add a chin or a forehead, I end up drawing the eyes and the hair and leaving the face as a ball. So before I knew it I got my sketch book out and started practising with faces, though I didn't want to lose my drawing style too much so I only made a few changes, however one major change that you may notice in the drawings below is this, they now have noses and eyebrows:


Clearly these are the first drawings I have drawn in the new style, and there is always room for improvement, something I will improve on is noses however, now I have started getting rid of the same face problem, a new same nose problem has arisen. Apart from that I am happy with the changes I have given to these characters, however considering I am half way through animating "Cleaning" I can't add these changes to my characters yet... unfortunately.

Something I will now try to work on along with the faces is the body and limbs, something that always gets me is hands, feet and body shapes. Although I am starting to get women's body down better (I assume help with the life model) I am still struggling getting a male body down, partially I have a habit of of giving them a, what I like to call, Simpsons body (In which it is a series of balls, the belly bigger than the chest ect.) However after Anthony gave me a few links to some artists I have researched into body types, though it is a single drawing here is one full body drawing I made:

This is something you might be thinking to yourself, "Hey Jack, why on earth is she wearing Sarah's clothing?" well, this is actually Sarah! After a night of mixing hair colours and skin colours I decided that I would make Sarah a Hispanic exchange student, still with all the same personalities. However I can't just suddenly change her in the animation so this will be something I will work on if I ever do more things with these characters.

Furthermore, characters aside, the body shape has altered greatly, something I will work on in the future will be the limbs however. Hands and feet are something I will work on last since they are something I will need to spend time on. If you notice, I have gained a habit of giving my characters no feet, this was due to the inspiration of The Bumming Crew, a big inspiration art wise. After trying to animate the characters without any feet during the Cleaning animation, I realise that it is more hassle to give them no feet than it is to give them feet, because if there is a full body shot the drawing looks incomplete. Hands however are a different story, I can't decide if I want my characters to have four fingers or three. Also hand sizes vary alot in my drawings, especially in the Cleaning animation, I will really need to practise to get them down once and for all.

I will continue working on the character designs and style until I am finally happy with what I come out with and can happily draw a character to look like what I imagine.



No comments:

Post a Comment