Friday 11 April 2014

Space Girl 3000 - Concept Art - Part 1; The Creation of Nancy Nebula

Back when I had the idea of Space Girl 3000, I wanted to art style to be very recognisable, and the colours to be very vibrant. Before I designed anything else, I started designing the main character, who would be known as Nancy Nebula. I quickly did a flash drawing of what I wanted Nancy to look like, taking inspiration from shows such as The Jetsons and Futurama. With those styles in mind I created the first drawing;


If you remember in a previous post, I said that Nancy would become the soul successor to the character I had previously drawn. However, I kept trying to revamp the character so to represent her personality, I had come up with the idea of her being a badass girl who just wants to get the deal done, this is what I imagined she'd look like;


After creating the second draft for the script, I had decided to change the character again into a much more innocent looking character. During one evening I had sketched up some examples of what she'd look like;


I liked the new design very much so, and I decided to do some colour tests for her, so I redrew her up in Flash and began playing with the colours.


I had now decided on a colour pallet for Nancy, in which I could still incorporate the vibrant colours. Now that I decided what she looks like and what colour she'd be I then began to play with her and do a few character tests.
Although I was happy with the Character design for Nancy, I felt that the hair was something of a downfall for the character design. She was difficult to draw from a front perspective and because of this I decided to change the head completely. Because of this I had to design a new hairstyle, or some form of alternative.

During this process I had come up with an idea to give her a helmet of a sort, this would make her head easier to work with. This is the design I had come up with;


Now that I have the design of the helmet down, I had to decide on a colour that would match Nancy's outfit. This lead me to a second colour test with the helmet.


I have finally got the full character designed, now all that is left is to design some character sheets for Nancy and I could work with the rest of the characters.


Now Nancy is finally complete, I am very happy with her design and I think she'll work well in Space Girl 3000. All that is left now is to design the rest of the cast and the background designs.

No comments:

Post a Comment