Friday 11 April 2014

Space Girl 3000 - Concept Art - Part 2; The Secondary Characters

After designing Nancy, I needed to design the other characters such as the main villain, his goons and the Office worker. I will go through each process individually on how I got to their final designs.

MR PHILIP MONEY

Mr Money is the main antagonist of the animation, the character Nancy is to deliver the package to but somehow gets it wrong. I wanted Mr Money to look menacing, but at the same time not look intimidating at all. To do this I looked at some business men villains, and the one that stuck in my head the most was the main antagonist from the "Space Jam" movie, Mister Swackhammer.


With this character in mind, I began designing my character. Unlike Nancy, I wanted him to have as little colour on his as possible, mainly working with black and whites. I finally decided on what he looks like resulting in this;


I like his design very much so since it screams "evil business man", I then decided to deal with the colouring. I spoke with Ged Haney about this and he suggested a white business suit with futuristic appeal, however I was inclined to disagree and went with blacks and greys for his outfit. 


Now that I have the colours sorted, I consulted Ged about him, his feedback was to make him seem more villainous. To do this I consulted character design books and looked for villains, one thing I did notice is that to make a character seem more evil they have battle scars. I thought of a good way to make him look more evil then, by giving him an eye patch. Now that I had decided how he should finally look I began creating a character sheet for Mt Money.


With Mr Money fully designed I then went onto designing the other characters, I had to think about Mr Money's Goons.

THE GOONS

The thing with the Goons is that I didn't know what kind of character I wanted them to be, at first I wanted them to be on the ball and ready to get the job done, because of this I decided to go with a Men in Black kind of look. However, I then realised I didn't have any aliens in my main cast, despite the show being set on an alien planet in the future. So I decided to scrap the tough Men in Black look and went for a more goofy alien kind of look.

I was looking into alien designs for a goofy kind of look, until I decided that maybe a character similar to Earthworm Jim could work, Giving them a muscular body but a goofy and irregular face. Now the main thing was the head, I thought it'd be nice to give him an animal face to contrast his huge body, I then decided on a fish. I didn't know how to draw a fish head without the body attatched, so my course mate Anthony suggested to look into the fish mascot for the Band "Goldfish".


After watching I had a good idea on what I wanted the Goon to look like, and I began drawing up some sketched of the Goons.


Now that I have the designs on paper I decided to draw them up in Flash, similar to Mr Money there is no need for colour tests since I had an idea of what I wanted them to look colour wise. All that I need to do now is redraw the Goon in Flash and colour them. Here is what the Character sheet turned out like;


With the Goons fully designed, I could now focus on the Office worker.

THE OFFICE WORKER/SHADY MAN

Now because of the rewrite of the script I ended up designing two characters, the first character was going to be an overworked Businessman. I didn't have much inspiration for him and I actually found it difficult to decide what I wanted him to look like, after consulting a character design book I finally came up with a young curly haired business man, this is what he ended up looking like;


Now that I had him designed I went on to colouring him, however during this process I was talking to Ged about making him look more futuristic, to do this I ended up adding some neon to the character. This is how he turned out;


After finally designing the character, I ended up changing the script and writing him out of the story. He was then replaced with another villainous character. Now I had to think of a totally new villain, and during the time I was designing him I was watching a cartoon show called "Codename; Kids Next Door". In that show the antagonist is a very simple design, simply a shadow of a man.


Now because of this, I had an idea to make my villain lurk in the shadows making him in indistinguishable, and when visible it turns out he's just a solid black colour. With this in mind I began to draw the sketches for the villain i'd call "The Shady Man."


After drawing up sketches of him I began drawing him up in Flash, since he was a solid colour I didn't have much trouble redrawing him and colouring him. These are the final character sheets for the shady man.


With this Character sheet finished I had finally completed all of the character sheets for each character. With this done I could focus on the background designs.

No comments:

Post a Comment