Friday 16 November 2012

[Drawing Lesson] 15/11/12 - Using Easels

While half the class was at BAF, the rest of us were in lesson. Today we finally got to draw on easels, we set them up in the room only to find out we didn't have a life model. We came to the decision to use ourselves as life models, clothed ofcourse. A new found respect emerged when life modelling, as the aches and pains of standing completely still for 3 and a half minutes will forever be scarred upon me.

Tom, our tutor took it upon himself the get the ball rolling, he stood in the center and told us to draw his silhouette and his outline, but before doing any of this, we had to set up the easels, a hard task indeed. It took roughly 15 minutes of confusion to actually get the contraptions to stay up right, and don't even get me started on getting the actual paper to stay on the easel. But finally, the easel was up right and we began drawing Tom, below is how that turned out:


After this, we began drawing each other starting with Arron, I really liked how these turned out... Honestly I actually loved every drawing I produced today. Each of these drawings took 3:20 to draw, after Arron's drawings to 20 minutes was used to prepare ourselves to draw the model though. Arron's drawings were just 3 simple drawings, pretty much just look at him and draw him in any medium you desire. However, we had to be very accurate with the size, so today I finally learnt how to measure with my thumb, something I have been curious about for a while. After Arron modeled, it was my turn. See other people's drawings to see how that turned out, it got very tiring towards the end so my final stance was laying down, which turned out to be difficult to draw.

After me, it was Anthony's turn to model, Tom however had a change of plan now, he wanted each pose to be in a form of "dead on the battlefield" pose. so instead of standing, dead on the floor. He also wanted to spend 20 seconds drawing the silhouette and the skeleton of the person, before drawing the actual model. I really liked how Anthony turned out, especially the one where he has his legs over a table. Below are the drawings of Aaron and Anthony:


After Anthony, Emma was up next. Something Anthony had been saying to me for the past few months is that "girls are easier to draw than guys", and one pose that I drew kinda made me see that. Same to how Anthony's drawings are, 20 seconds drawing the silhouette and skeleton, then after drawing the full person. The one pose I really liked was the pose of her laying down, the curves are really nice on the drawing, during the last drawing I went for a bigger approach, however I only ended up going into detail for half of the drawing. After Emma it was Harry's turn to model, he only had to pose twice for this and the second pose we had to draw for 5 minutes, without any preparation drawing. I drew the last drawing fairly big, and I think it turned out good, the pose was fairly hard to draw and alot I didn't really measure the model as much as the previous drawings however you could still tell what it was suppose to be at the end. Below are the drawing's of Emma and Harry: 




1 comment:

  1. Great! I like these kind of sketches, you can find also in my painting blog.

    ReplyDelete